Company Name
WhosOnFirst

Selecting Fastest Server

Rate this question

Question

Greetings!

I've been trying to determine if there is a way to pick the fastest server every time I launch Torguard LT or Torguard Visc.  Currently, I do it manually by connecting, running a speed test, disconnecting...rinse repeat.  Takes longer sometimes as the servers don't always connect quickly.

I would like to automate this and was wondering if any way to do this with either app.

The communities thoughts / opinions / advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

• Like 2

32 answers to this question

We are working on this guys, sorry for the delay we had to get some features we already started on out first.

We will update soon.

Regards

March 2018 and still no answer... Is this feature going to be implemented?  I switched over from BolehVPN and while a bit pricier, that was one of the features that made it worthwhile.  

Please update us!!!

21 hours ago, Mopatop said:

Seeing this feature abandoned for so long is making me question if I should be seeking another VPN provider.

I feel like TorGuard is seriously understaffed in software development department. Don't get me wrong, I am a satisfied customer. But reading these kind of feature request threads that date back to months or even years ago makes me think that.

Hello - this is something we are working on already, we are hoping to fine tune this within the next couple of months.

Regards

• Like 1

Yes, some missing functionality, I wonder if that will be done with Viscosity used by me.

To a word, IPVanish all they having for determining most fastest server-location is a sort by ping, can TorGuard be better and define also speeds of best servers in addition to ping?

that’s what we are working on, you need a full load-balanced solution, although we have a good algorithm going it could be much better, ping doesn’t always give you the best servers.

Regards

Hello - this is something we are working on already, we are hoping to fine tune this within the next couple of months.

Regards

any update on this? thanku

We are working on this guys, sorry for the delay we had to get some features we already started on out first.

We will update soon.

Regards

Bump!  Been over a year now... any way to sort by speed yet?

We have a big release coming tomorrow, the next release may contain this feature guys, we will make it priority - sorry for such a delay.

Regards

Was this released on Mac versions also?

All features are normally released across all platforms at the same time - in regards to selecting the fastest server based on your location and ping is half done.

Regards

All features are normally released across all platforms at the same time - in regards to selecting the fastest server based on your location and ping is half done.

Regards

How long will the remaining half take to complete?

How long will the remaining half take to complete?

At the moment we are not sure - we are hoping after our next release, we are working on our very own stealth protocol for next release along with a few fixes, then we plan on finishing this feature.

Regards

• Like 1

At the moment we are not sure - we are hoping after our next release, we are working on our very own stealth protocol for next release along with a few fixes, then we plan on finishing this feature.

Regards

Thanks, I'd love to see this in the client eventually.

Which algorithm, is it public?

On openwrt it could be done, fastest, pinging all servers and selecting the one with lowest latency. This is how a user gets best result based on ping. If you want to be more precious, you could make iperf to check it with more than 1 packet.

For me it is not really usefull option. Best server is always only the one which is closest. Performance can be reduced due to overload of some servers and for that no ping or algorithm is requiered on client side, offer simply status file with pings from every your server to every other of your servers, and add ie. in % how much loaded it is. Client does not need then to run any scripts or test, results are deliver and they are very precious.

I am just curious about algorithm, do you speak about client or server solution or even backend solution?

Are you still working on this? My previous VPN provider had a good application of this type. I was disappointed to discover that Torguard did not when I switched over.

Being able to discover a good server relative to your location which is not simply the one closest to you, but the one that gets you a fast connection to your usual internet haunts is very useful.

We have 2018 and we are still waiting.......

any alternative solution to find a fastest server from location "X"?

To be frank, all I would want the client to have is what other providers call a smart detection method. I use other providers and it's great to just click connect to the closest detected server.