TorGuard
nse

IOS app update timeline

Hi,

Just wondering about the IOS app update. When will the new version released?

I found that the IOS app is lacking compared with the android one.

Thanks

On 12/07/2018 at 8:57 AM, nse said:

Hi,

Just wondering about the IOS app update. When will the new version released?

I found that the IOS app is lacking compared with the android one.

Thanks

Hi nse

iOS updates will start to come faster over the coming months, we are however restricted by protocol, on iOS we are restricted to what Apple offers in their built-in clients or by creating a custom protocol, with Android we can use OpenVPN and so it can become similar to the torguard desktop software.

Regards

Curious with the new openvpn support that just came out .. It sounds like we should be using the iOS openvpn.app instead of torguard .. Is this true?  The app says to install the openvpn app and add torguard's udp/tcp configs into openvpn.  Then what?  Use openvpn to connect?

On 19-7-2018 at 8:20 PM, rr0ss0rr said:

Curious with the new openvpn support that just came out .. It sounds like we should be using the iOS openvpn.app instead of torguard .. Is this true?  The app says to install the openvpn app and add torguard's udp/tcp configs into openvpn.  Then what?  Use openvpn to connect?

Yes, they want you to use the OpenVPN Connect app if you want to use OpenVPN.

On 18-7-2018 at 2:06 PM, Support said:

Hi nse

iOS updates will start to come faster over the coming months, we are however restricted by protocol, on iOS we are restricted to what Apple offers in their built-in clients or by creating a custom protocol, with Android we can use OpenVPN and so it can become similar to the torguard desktop software.

Regards

It's a missed opportunity not to build in OpenVPN support directly, since recently Apple has loosened its restrictions on this. The work-around offered now is a stopgap solution in my opinion, since the OpenVPN Connect app has its flaws and peculiarities as well (considerable battery usage, no H/W acceleration, in sleep mode disables Wifi if "Seamless Tunnel" option which prevents leaks is on). Since the developer seems not interested in including in-built OpenVPN support (helpful resource?), I sincerely hope that the IPSEC/IKEv2 connections become more reliable instead. On the other hand, the iOS app is the only "point of improvement" I can think of for an otherwise fast and reliable service.

On 21/07/2018 at 10:15 AM, Robyn said:

Yes, they want you to use the OpenVPN Connect app if you want to use OpenVPN.

It's a missed opportunity not to build in OpenVPN support directly, since recently Apple has loosened its restrictions on this. The work-around offered now is a stopgap solution in my opinion, since the OpenVPN Connect app has its flaws and peculiarities as well (considerable battery usage, no H/W acceleration, in sleep mode disables Wifi if "Seamless Tunnel" option which prevents leaks is on). Since the developer seems not interested in including in-built OpenVPN support (helpful resource?), I sincerely hope that the IPSEC/IKEv2 connections become more reliable instead. On the other hand, the iOS app is the only "point of improvement" I can think of for an otherwise fast and reliable service.

Hi, we have been looking into it, there seems to be a way of integrating OpenVPN into the app but this will still require the OpenVPN connect app to be installed in any case.

We are looking into it and will hopefully have some update on that before the month is out.

Regards