TorGuard
Support

TG Android Client v1.1.36

Question

== Release v1.1.36, 2018-07-01

* Reconnect when the screen is back on

This option is related to "Disconnect when the screen is off" feature.
 If OpenVPN was stopped while the screen is off, the user can now choose
to reconnect the VPN when the screen is back on.

* Add Port/Auth choice

The user can now choose the Port and Auth independently from the Cipher.
 All ports have a list of Cipher that the user can choose, except
 of port 1194 that is reserved for no encrypted connections.

* Add Auto port

The user can let TorGuard choose the best port, leaving the default "Auto"
 option in the Port/Auth choice. The port chosen will be in accordance to
the cipher selected.

* Add port 53: Tls-Crypt option used

The user is now able to use the OpenVPN "tls-crypt" option.
 In order to do that, the user should choose a server that allows it too.
 Right now, servers that are using the tls-crypt option are running
 on the port 53.

* Disable cipher negotiation

Ensure OpenVPN will use the user selected cipher by disabling
 cipher auto-negotiation.

* Add Proxy option to preferences
 The user can now select a proxy type to connect to from the
 preferences before opening a VPN connection. Available are either
  - no proxy
  - custom proxy
  - stealth proxy
  The stealth proxy option is not available for devices with an armeabi architecture.

Downloads

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

With this update it is taking about 15-20 35-45 seconds to connect to any server. Previously it was less than 5 seconds.

New "reconnect on screen on" feature is working as expected but is suffering the same 15-20 seconds delay in connecting.☹️

Update: For anyone facing this same issue, try uninstalling the app, rebooting and reinstalling as per TG support's instruction. Did the trick for me.

Feature request: Please add always on VPN soon, this app is almost close to perfection now feature-wise. Keep up the hard work guys!😊

Edited by Marco
Updated with a solution.

fantastic feature update. thanks to the torguard team for making the best mobile vpn app!

uninstalled old version before installing new version as suggested above and there were no problems.

On 7/1/2018 at 2:38 PM, Marco said:

Feature request: Please add always on VPN soon, this app is almost close to perfection now feature-wise. Keep up the hard work guys!😊

isn't it always on by default? maybe you have a background/power setting that turns the app off. it remains connected for me.

2 hours ago, trump2016 said:

fantastic feature update. thanks to the torguard team for making the best mobile vpn app!

uninstalled old version before installing new version as suggested above and there were no problems.

isn't it always on by default? maybe you have a background/power setting that turns the app off. it remains connected for me.

You misunderstood.

Always on VPN "feature is, essentially, a kill-switch. While enabled, it will ensure that all Internet traffic on your Android device will go through the VPN tunnel, not directly over the non-secure ISP connection if the VPN connection is down for any reason."

With the recently introduced disconnect on screen off and reconnect on screen on feature for battery saving, there are times when the internet is not protected with TorGuard when the screen is off. I tested this by sending myself a WhatsApp message. I received the message even with screen off and TG disconnected, and ideally with Always on VPN the internet connection should be suspended until I turn my screen back on and TG reconnects.

So this Always on VPN feature will act as kill switch and block any traffic without TorGuard's protection.

I am by no means an expert on this, just what I've gathered from reading on this subject.

On 10/7/2018 at 3:09 AM, Anon101 said:

This version is not showing up in my play store.

It takes time for an app update to get published in the play store for various reasons. You can install without worrying, the apk that you can download from this website will be the same that you will find in play store.