TorGuard
ehjay

Need help with my VPN setup

Rate this question

Question

Hey all.  I'm sorry if this has been asked a number of times, but I need some help/suggestions with my setup that I'm looking to have.

I'm looking into a VPN router for my IPTV viewing at home.  I know 'stuff' but I'm not very skilled in all this networking.  I currently use an Amped Wireless AC1750 but there doesn't seem to be any setting to configure my VPN.  I would think I need to purchase one with the VPN software already installed.  Is there one that some of you may suggest for myself?  Or any alternatives?

Thanks!

[edit] I've read so much on these things that I think I've made myself more lost than from where I started.

16 answers to this question

Good day to sir ;.)

you should buy a router with dd-wrt preinstalled.

If you plan on using this router to run torguard to put every device behind it in a VPN you should make sure to get a router with a strong CPU (as this is the limiting factor here).

at this time I would recommend you a netgear nighthawk or an ASUS RT-AC88U . just check that the CPU is above 1.4 GHz (1.8 GHz is the best at this point) and that it has wrt installed.

If you want to stream internet content to you, bandwidth will be your primary goal. If you want to max out your speed, use L2TP on your router. This will make your data is not encrypted, but you can use another IP and have a good speed. (important if you want to stream a long distance like across Atlantic).

For sensitive data use TG  client on your PC / Laptop.

Any more questions? Feel free to ask.

Regards

balexter

It is ok if you PM me if you have sensitive questions.

For everything else, I suggest we stay public so other folks that have the same issue can benefit as well. :-)

Fair enough. I’ll post here. I understand some of what you’re saying but I might as well tell you what I’m looking at doing.

I assume having a VPN for streaming IPTV  is ideal?  That’s my only reason for needing it and what I need it on are for my TV’s and my Apple TV.  I figured the best way it to just purchase a router that’s able to configure VPN’s for them.

If there’s a better/easier way to hide those devices I’m all ears!

the best way to put devices that dont naturally host a vpn client (such as tv, playstation etc.) is to put them behind a vpn router. you got that right.

This rule stands without regard what you do on the internet (including things as torrenting, using kodi etc etc.)

So my advice to you is: Use the TG client on your PC/Laptop itself (as they have a way better CPU and get better speeds this way).

Put everything else (smartphone, your tv, consoles and everything else that uses the net) behind a vpn router.

If security/anonymity is your issue, use modern encryption on your router. If speed is your issue (like unblocking geo restrictions for accessing netflix, use a dedicated streaming ip and configure your router with L2TP (this will keep your data unencrypted but will change your IP i.e. geo location.

hehe, yes ideally you would want that. sadly you cant have both.

its like the choice between absolute security and ease of use/freedom.

you can always try to configure your router with the TG tool section to use AES GCM ciphers. If you get enough speed, stay this way.

For me, its either security or speed (I stream from USA to central Europe). 

Usually TV's and consoles dont need much security. 

Usually your PC/laptop and your smartphone needs most security. PC/laptop isnt a problem since you can use the TG client there and it will do a pretty good job.

Smartphones are a problem because their CPU is powerful enough to use a vpn, but it uses a lot of battery. So usually i dont do sensitive stuff on my smartphone. 

What is your goal? maybe I can give you a better hint what to do if you tell me what you want to achive?

I’m simply cutting the cord to watch an IPTV package. That’s all really. 

Just want to make sure my ISP doesn’t get angry at me that’s all.

Mhhh,  I really dont think ISP nowadays have a problem with folks that generate a lot of traffic. We live in 2018!

If I was you, I would try it out. If your ISP writes to you and complains about your high traffic, you can still switch to a vpn. 

So wait, is traffic the only thing that would catch the ISP’s attention and Not what streams I’m actually watching?

On 6/13/2018 at 11:18 PM, ehjay said:

Hey all.  I'm sorry if this has been asked a number of times, but I need some help/suggestions with my setup that I'm looking to have.

I'm looking into a VPN router for my IPTV viewing at home.  I know 'stuff' but I'm not very skilled in all this networking.  I currently use an Amped Wireless AC1750 but there doesn't seem to be any setting to configure my VPN.  I would think I need to purchase one with the VPN software already installed.  Is there one that some of you may suggest for myself?  Or any alternatives?

Thanks!

[edit] I've read so much on these things that I think I've made myself more lost than from where I started.

You should consider the Asus RT-AC86U and flash with Merlin firmware. The router has hardware acceleration and an 1800MHz processor. The built in vpn client makes it real simple to add TG or other OpenVPN service, especially with Merlin FW which has numerous very useful tweaks over Asus stock FW. I used Asus 68U and 88U prior and the 86U increases vpn speeds more than 50%. It's an awesome router for handling vpn. Has LAN-IPTV built in as well.

On 13.6.2018 at 8:42 PM, ehjay said:

So wait, is traffic the only thing that would catch the ISP’s attention and Not what streams I’m actually watching?

Both. Some shady ISP's dont want you to have high traffic, even if you got a flat. With a VPN you wont hide how much traffic you have.

Theoretically ISP's can see what you are doing when you dont use a VPN. 

2 hours ago, Sam Crow said:

You should consider the Asus RT-AC86U and flash with Merlin firmware. The router has hardware acceleration and an 1800MHz processor. The built in vpn client makes it real simple to add TG or other OpenVPN service, especially with Merlin FW which has numerous very useful tweaks over Asus stock FW. I used Asus 68U and 88U prior and the 86U increases vpn speeds more than 50%. It's an awesome router for handling vpn. Has LAN-IPTV built in as well.

Hello Sam Crow,

I use an ASUS RT-AC88U myself. it has only 1.4GHz but comes with ASUS-WRT, a build in openVPN client.

Afaik the 86U has the same feature (build in client). Did you that client and speeds  before flashing with merlin? Is the speed increase due to the merlin software or rather because the 86U has a good CPU?

32 minutes ago, balexter said:

Hello Sam Crow,

I use an ASUS RT-AC88U myself. it has only 1.4GHz but comes with ASUS-WRT, a build in openVPN client.

Afaik the 86U has the same feature (build in client). Did you that client and speeds  before flashing with merlin? Is the speed increase due to the merlin software or rather because the 86U has a good CPU?

Since both routers (88U & 86U) have same versions of Merlin, the difference is from the CPU ability.