TorGuard
Sam Crow

Streaming & Residential IP add-ons

Rate this question

Question

Hello,

Despite numerous enquiries with TG support, web searches, etc., I am still confused about the details of and differences between Streaming IP and Residential IP add-ons. 

Can someone in the know provide a concise breakdown of what is the intended purpose of both and what they can actually do for me as well as the costing. I am recieving very conflicting inormation from Torguard on all these details.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

6 hours ago, Sam Crow said:

Hello,

Despite numerous enquiries with TG support, web searches, etc., I am still confused about the details of and differences between Streaming IP and Residential IP add-ons. 

Can someone in the know provide a concise breakdown of what is the intended purpose of both and what they can actually do for me as well as the costing. I am recieving very conflicting inormation from Torguard on all these details.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Hi Sam

A streaming IP will work for streaming services, not all but most - they normally come from regular cloud or IP providers, they do not support torrents

A Residential IP will likely work for almost anything, streaming, online gaming you name it, they appear from providers such as Time Warner so they look like an IP you would receive from your home ISP - they appear to be more legit and far less likely to be blocked - they also do not support torrents.

Regards

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Support said:

Hi Sam

A streaming IP will work for streaming services, not all but most - they normally come from regular cloud or IP providers, they do not support torrents

A Residential IP will likely work for almost anything, streaming, online gaming you name it, they appear from providers such as Time Warner so they look like an IP you would receive from your home ISP - they appear to be more legit and far less likely to be blocked - they also do not support torrents.

Regards

I am told residential IP locations are limited to Dallas only? 

Just now, Sam Crow said:

Correct, full residential are only available in Dallas at the minute.

3 minutes ago, Sam Crow said:

i am in need of a streaming IP in LA or Seattle, I am told these locations are not available, but the website addon shows a "dedicated" IP in LA....what is this and does it work for streaming US geo-blocked services?

1 hour ago, Sam Crow said:

i am in need of a streaming IP in LA or Seattle, I am told these locations are not available, but the website addon shows a "dedicated" IP in LA....what is this and does it work for streaming US geo-blocked services?

Hi Sam

As per the note just behind the menu in your image, you need a streaming IP to watch streaming services, regular Dedicated IP's will not work, the closest we have to LA is San Diego.

Regards

okay, thanks for that. Then please tell me this: what is a "dedicated IP" designed to do, or achieve, what is the net benefit of a dedicated IP address??  I am very interested in obtaining such an IP in Seattle and/or LA.

Please clarify the functions of these US based dedicated IP address's.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Sam Crow said:

okay, thanks for that. Then please tell me this: what is a "dedicated IP" designed to do, or achieve, what is the net benefit of a dedicated IP address??  I am very interested in obtaining such an IP in Seattle and/or LA.

Please clarify the functions of these US based dedicated IP address's.

Thank you.

Hi Sam, there are many use cases to have your own dedicated IP, remote accessing systems that whitelist your dedicated IP, gaming servers, less likely to be blocked on sites, or on spam blacklists etc just to name a few.

Regards

I just switched to residential from streaming and it seems to be better in every way. I don't think anyone can detect it as  a vpn. This is not true with the streaming ip wich caused problems with my bank and some online vendors. The only drawback with the residential ip is it allows only one connection at a time.

6 hours ago, john1 said:

I just switched to residential from streaming and it seems to be better in every way. I don't think anyone can detect it as  a vpn. This is not true with the streaming ip wich caused problems with my bank and some online vendors. The only drawback with the residential ip is it allows only one connection at a time.

Hello, thanks for the info, very helpful.

Can you tell me the location of your residential IP?

Regards,

Curtis

On 5/7/2018 at 6:52 PM, john1 said:

My residential ip is located in Texas.

Can you share what speeds you are achieving with the residential IP? 

Thank you for all your input.

Hi Sam, 

I have 200 download/35 upload service from my cable company and am not seeing any appreciable decrease in speed when using the vpn through Torguard's Windows app.

I ran this test with a computer connected directly to my cable modem.

Normaly I run my whole house on a Netgear R8500 flashed with DD-WRT running openvpn.  This gives me approx 40-50 meg download. This is more than enough speed for me.

John

14 hours ago, john1 said:

Hi Sam, 

I have 200 download/35 upload service from my cable company and am not seeing any appreciable decrease in speed when using the vpn through Torguard's Windows app.

I ran this test with a computer connected directly to my cable modem.

Normaly I run my whole house on a Netgear R8500 flashed with DD-WRT running openvpn.  This gives me approx 40-50 meg download. This is more than enough speed for me.

John

I see, what is your proximity to the Texas VPN server?

4 hours ago, Sam Crow said:

I see, what is your proximity to the Texas VPN server?

On 5/6/2018 at 7:42 AM, Support said:

Correct, full residential are only available in Dallas at the minute.

7 minutes ago, john1 said:

John I was actually asking what the distance from your location to the VPN server location in Dallas?

14 minutes ago, Sam Crow said:

John I was actually asking what the distance from your location to the VPN server location in Dallas?

I'm sorry I misread your question. I live near  New York city.  Approx 1600 miles.

2 hours ago, john1 said:

I'm sorry I misread your question. I live near  New York city.  Approx 1600 miles.

yeah, no worries. I am contemplating testing a residential IP.

My ISP pkg is 150/30 fiber and I currently use a TG streaming IP located in CA (San Diego) achieving speeds >100Mbps on an Asus AC86U (various Ports with ciper GCM128) from my location in SE Asia. Not so bad. I will try out the residential IP and see how it fares from Asia.

Thanks for your input.

21 hours ago, Sam Crow said:

yeah, no worries. I am contemplating testing a residential IP.

My ISP pkg is 150/30 fiber and I currently use a TG streaming IP located in CA (San Diego) achieving speeds >100Mbps on an Asus AC86U (various Ports with ciper GCM128) from my location in SE Asia. Not so bad. I will try out the residential IP and see how it fares from Asia.

Thanks for your input.

Great speeds you getting. Your making me think of changing routers.

@samcrow .. Are you running the merlin firmware on the 86U?  and are you running openvpn on the router?

Thanks .. I'm setting up my 86U this weekend

15 hours ago, rr0ss0rr said:

@samcrow .. Are you running the merlin firmware on the 86U?  and are you running openvpn on the router?

Thanks .. I'm setting up my 86U this weekend

hello,

Yes, I am on Merlin 384.3, there is a more recent Merlin FW but somewhat unstable at this time. 

You will be pleasantly surprised with the performance of the AC86U for openVPN. It is one of their better routers (and very cost competitive) at managing openVPN due to HW acceleration which accounts for its bump in performance. You may have to enable this option though with a command to the NVRAM.

Good luck, have fun.

Thanks .. Just got the router installed with base firmware .. Wanted to make sure I'm not going to use AIMesh before I install Merlin.  So far, I'm impressed with the coverage just from the 1 router.

16 hours ago, rr0ss0rr said:

Thanks .. Just got the router installed with base firmware .. Wanted to make sure I'm not going to use AIMesh before I install Merlin.  So far, I'm impressed with the coverage just from the 1 router.

Were you able to get Torguard running on openvpn on the stock firmware? If so what kind of speed are you getting?

Thanks

John

On ‎6‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, Support said:

Hi Sam

Regards

So if neither a streaming IP and a residential IP do not support torrents, how can I set things up for my torrent box?  One of the points of having an anonymous proxy/vpn is for torrenting.

And why do they not support torrents?