TorGuard

Rate this question

Question

So I attach a laptop at work to Xfinity's hotspots (mainly to browse outside of my job's network) and use the TorGuard client to further protect what I'm doing.  The signal from the hotspot is really strong and whenever I don't use TG's VPN, it's remains solid throughout the day.  If I connect to a VPN, it'll generally disconnect after 10-15 minutes, sometimes quicker, sometimes longer.  I know it's doing it since I have app kill enabled for the browser, just in case.

I read in Xfinity's forums that they block VPN's on the public wifi's (I don't seem to have the same problem at home - at least not as much).  Are there specific settings that I should be using to get around these constant disconnects?  I read that setting TorGuard to TCP:80 will do the trick and I'm trying it, but thought I would reach out to see if anyone else is having problems or has specific answers. Thanks!

6 answers to this question

Answering my own question apparently.  So I did try TCP with port 80 and it's been connected for more than 24 hours straight.  So I guess that was the answer after all.  Anyone using Xfinity/Comcast public hotspots, take note if your Torguard client is disconnecting constantly.

13 hours ago, 43524_1511348124 said:

Answering my own question apparently.  So I did try TCP with port 80 and it's been connected for more than 24 hours straight.  So I guess that was the answer after all.  Anyone using Xfinity/Comcast public hotspots, take note if your Torguard client is disconnecting constantly.

Apologies for the delay in our reply,  disconnects do tend to happen often when using any other ports outside port 80 TCP or port 443 TCP on hot spots in my experience - we have a feature coming in a future release that will auto find a port that works for you after a few quick questions - this will set the best settings for your environment and find a working connection for you.

Regards

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ramz said:

Yeah currently have the same problem with xfinity wifi

Hi Ramz, did port 80 TCP work for you? do you have access to the modem?

Regards

It's still working for me with TCP 80.  At home I'm using UDP without any issue but maybe because I have my own modem and router that it works better than the "public" broadcasting the Xfinity does with their leased modems.

On 24/05/2018 at 4:09 AM, 43524_1511348124 said:

It's still working for me with TCP 80.  At home I'm using UDP without any issue but maybe because I have my own modem and router that it works better than the "public" broadcasting the Xfinity does with their leased modems.

Public networks will normally filter UDP on all or specific ports to prevent DOS attacks.

Regards