TorGuard
cescpistol

Stealth proxy vs Stunnel

Rate this question

Question

Since the update of the Windows client, I have been intrigued by the Stunnel feature. I'm a noob, so I hope somebody can explain to me, in layman's terms, the difference between Torguard's Stealth Proxy and Stunnel features? Which is better in protecting privacy, for example, when downloading torrents?

Thanks in advance.

14 answers to this question

10 hours ago, Marco said:

Hi,

Pardon my ignorance but what is TM? And I think I kinda figured it out but I don't have a proper solution. See, I followed this guide here a few months ago and as directed in step 5 I blocked all outbound connections in my Private profile.

Now, When I allow all outbound connections in my Private profile, the stunnel works. So is there something that I should allow in Private profile here in "Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Defender Firewall\Allowed apps"?

Try adding stunnel/openconnect/openvpn2.4/2.3/ss-local/TorGuarddesktopQT binaries under C:\Program Files\VPNetwork LLC\TorGuard

1 hour ago, rr0ss0rr said:

Is stunnel still needed if you are using the new tls-crypt option?

tls-crypt should be more than sufficient to bypass most dpi/firewall blocks - using stunnel is optional if you want a second SSL layer then, by all means use it, it is not "needed" in a sense to bypass blocks when using tls-crypt.

Regards

• Thanks 1

Hello,

Stunnel  is an encryption wrapper between a client and a server. It listens on the port specified in its configuration file, encrypts the communication with the client, and forwards the data to the original daemon listening on its usual port, which in our case is OpenVPN. This way we can add an additional SSL layer to the encryption you already use through OpenVPN improving the security of the service even further.

Regards

Both are good options - the shadowsocks (stealth proxy) will be removed in our next release - we find it slower than stunnel and less adequate at bypassing certain firewalls.

Regards

• Thanks 1

Hi @Support, is the stunnel feature currently broken? I'm on Windows with TG v0.3.83 and when I choose stunnel the TG client keeps saying "reconnecting" and never actually connects.

1 hour ago, Marco said:

Hi @Support, is the stunnel feature currently broken? I'm on Windows with TG v0.3.83 and when I choose stunnel the TG client keeps saying "reconnecting" and never actually connects.

Hi Marco

No it appears to work fine, are you using a specific IP or location, does this happen with any location?

Try removing these folders:

Windows: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\VPNetworkLLC

Mac OS: /users/user/Library/Application Support/VPNetworkLLC/TorGuard

Restart TG Client and retest.

Regards

Hi @Support,

I did as you asked, deleted "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\VPNetworkLLC" on my Windows 10 laptop, restarted the Client. But the problem persists. I tried a few different servers but the result is same.

I have uploaded a video here recording the issue. Kindly have a look.

10 minutes ago, Marco said:

Hi @Support,

I did as you asked, deleted "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\VPNetworkLLC" on my Windows 10 laptop, restarted the Client. But the problem persists. I tried a few different servers but the result is same.

I have uploaded a video here recording the issue. Kindly have a look.

Strange im not seeing any problems with stunnel enabled: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yd926ff3eagj685/Screenshot 2018-04-26 10.21.31.png?dl=0

Did you restart the TG Client after removing that folder? can you hit restore defaults on the general tab, restart tg and retest?

Thanks

13 minutes ago, Support said:

Strange im not seeing any problems with stunnel enabled: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yd926ff3eagj685/Screenshot 2018-04-26 10.21.31.png?dl=0

Did you restart the TG Client after removing that folder? can you hit restore defaults on the general tab, restart tg and retest?

Thanks

Yes, I did restart the TG Client after removing that folder. After your reply,

1. I hit restore defaults on the general tab, restarted the Client and retested. The problem persists.

2. I again deleted "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\VPNetworkLLC", then I hit restore defaults on the general tab, restarted the Client and retested. The problem still persists.

1 hour ago, Marco said:

Yes, I did restart the TG Client after removing that folder. After your reply,

1. I hit restore defaults on the general tab, restarted the Client and retested. The problem persists.

2. I again deleted "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\VPNetworkLLC", then I hit restore defaults on the general tab, restarted the Client and retested. The problem still persists.

Marco is it possible to TM in and have a quick look? I'm not seeing any problems nor have anyone complaining about having the same problem so would be interesting to know, do you have any security software you could temp disable them just in case?

Regards

1 hour ago, Support said:

Marco is it possible to TM in and have a quick look? I'm not seeing any problems nor have anyone complaining about having the same problem so would be interesting to know, do you have any security software you could temp disable them just in case?

Regards

Hi,

Pardon my ignorance but what is TM? And I think I kinda figured it out but I don't have a proper solution. See, I followed this guide here a few months ago and as directed in step 5 I blocked all outbound connections in my Private profile.

Now, When I allow all outbound connections in my Private profile, the stunnel works. So is there something that I should allow in Private profile here in "Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Defender Firewall\Allowed apps"?

4 hours ago, Support said:

Try adding stunnel/openconnect/openvpn2.4/2.3/ss-local/TorGuarddesktopQT binaries under C:\Program Files\VPNetwork LLC\TorGuard

Thank you for your guidance @Support, the problem is solved now. Adding stunnel to "Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Defender Firewall\Allowed apps" was not fruitful but your suggestion gave me an idea. I created an outbound rule in firewall allowing private connections only for stunnel and Voilà, it's working! Thank you again.