Jump to content
Company Name
  • 1
Robyn

iOS app connect/reconnect problems

Question

I’ve got several problems with the iOS app. When choosing IKEv2 for connecting to Torguard servers, more than often the connection is never established (the app seems to make unsuccesful connection attempts indefinately based on the spinning network indicator in iOS’s status bar). This is unrelated to the network I am on (various Wifi networks or LTE).

To establish an IPsec connection is not so problematic (it exhibits the above behavior only occasionally), but after iOS has been stand-by for some amount of time, the VPN seems to be active upon wake judging by the indicator in the status bar, but all internet connectivity is lost.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

Thank you for the update. I use the app on both networks, but probably I connect more to Wifi networks than my 3G/4G network. At least for my home network and my mobile network I know the problem is not in blocking connections / ports (on both router and ISP level), which is a very uncommon practice in my country.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi Robyn

If you use many different Wifi hotspots it may be that on some of them block the ports required for IKEv2 but not plain ipsec or vice versa, IKEv2 is commonly blocked on some networks.

What version of the iOS are you running just now? have you tried the on-demand option, is this checked?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thank you for the quick reply. I am on iOS 11.2.5 and the problems persist irrespective of enabling or disabling on-demand connectivity.

As I said, IKEv2 almost never works, most strikingly not on my home network. I know very sure my router does not block required ports (or any ports for that matter), nor does my ISP as the IKEv2 protocol has never resulted in connectivity problems with my previous VPN-provider.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi Robyn

If IKev2 almost never works then something at your end must be blocking it,, i can guarantee these servers IKev2 are all working fine and im able to connect to them all, have you tried connecting to the "Direct IP" profiles in case there is an issue with resolving our hostnames? it could also be a cause for losing all connectivity when your phone wakes.

Regards

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I’ve tried the Direct IP profile with IKEv2, but unfortunately it did not work. 

I don’t fully understand the problem myself. IKEv2 did work with my previous VPN, which tells relevant ports are not blocked on my end. IKEv2 does not work on various networks, which tells the problem is network-unrelated. Making a connection without the app by configuring a new IKEv2 connection through iOS settings also does not work, which tells the app is not to blame. All tested on iPhone and iPad, which tells problem is not device-specific. So far all this seems to suggest that the problem might be iOS related, routing related, configuration related or server related.

I’ll try to test IPSec with a Direct IP profile to check on the reconnection problems, but in sum, the whole iOS situation is unfortunately far from ideal now.

Edited by Robyn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Unfortunately, establishing a connection via IPSec with Direct IP does not fix the reconnection problem. Upon reconnecting after being stand-by for some time, there is internet activity until reconnecting manually (disconnect -> connect). 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I have just updated my iphone to ios 11.2.5 with the latest version of the app and i cant conect either i could before the ios update.

i put in my user and pw it then goes to sighn in and askes me for my touch id to add it to my vpn i do this and then it sit on the conecting screen with a small popup that keeps coming and going reli quick. It sez can not authenticate but i know my pw and user is correct

Edited by Zandr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi all working. The problem is that my pw has a capital at the begining. On the tg app it does not like me putting a capital but all working thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 1-2-2018 at 11:04 PM, Support said:

Hi Robyn

How long was the phone on standby for roughly?

Regards

 

Roughly speaking, after approximately 30 minutes the connection is not succesfully restored anymore, despite the active VPN indicator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The connection through the iOS app (or direct IPSEC / IKEv2 connections by configuring them in settings) have never been reliable, at least in my case. I cannot compare to versions prior to iOS 11 unfortunately, I think I started using the app around the release of iOS 11.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I am having pretty much the same issue. No matter what protocol or server I use the torguard app will not connect on my iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 11.2.6. I've tried reinstalling app, resetting network settings, full factory reset. However it does work fine on my iPad running iOS 10.3.3 my MacBook and a windows server. I have tried it on multiple networks, even on DMZ connections. The app simply won't create a connection on the iPhone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Same issue here. Using iPhone 8 Plus, 11.2.6. App has no connectivity. Auto-attempting to connect, repeated pop-up 'Authenticate failed'..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 01/03/2018 at 12:15 PM, Richie225 said:

I am having pretty much the same issue. No matter what protocol or server I use the torguard app will not connect on my iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 11.2.6. I've tried reinstalling app, resetting network settings, full factory reset. However it does work fine on my iPad running iOS 10.3.3 my MacBook and a windows server. I have tried it on multiple networks, even on DMZ connections. The app simply won't create a connection on the iPhone. 

 

Hi - all locations can connect and so the servers are certainly available - does it happen also without using the app and using the built-in clients? IPSec and IKev2 by default on many modems are routers are blocked and you have to enable them through the firewall.

On 02/03/2018 at 6:10 PM, H31forum said:

Same issue here. Using iPhone 8 Plus, 11.2.6. App has no connectivity. Auto-attempting to connect, repeated pop-up 'Authenticate failed'..

 

Did you double check your credentials?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Same for me. Never makes a connection. Just upgraded to the VPN service just for this.

 

works like a charm on my iMac but both iPad and iPhone is a no go😖

 

EDIT: after changing password under credentials on this site it finally connected🙌

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
17 minutes ago, Kafferast said:

Same for me. Never makes a connection. Just upgraded to the VPN service just for this.

 

works like a charm on my iMac but both iPad and iPhone is a no go😖

 

Hey there, are you stuck in a connecting state?

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 minutes ago, Support said:

 

Hey there, are you stuck in a connecting state?

Regards

after changing password under credentials on this site it finally connected🙌

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 4-2-2018 at 3:51 PM, Robyn said:

The connection through the iOS app (or direct IPSEC / IKEv2 connections by configuring them in settings) have never been reliable, at least in my case. I cannot compare to versions prior to iOS 11 unfortunately, I think I started using the app around the release of iOS 11.1


Are you still interested in this issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Robyn said:


Are you still interested in this issue?

 

Hi Robyn - we have our devs looking for possible issues - i haven't had any update from them yet but i will find out first thing when you use them do you use them within your own network mostly or on your mobile network?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

FYI: I noticed that Private Internet Access now has an iOS client in which OpenVPN can be selected as the VPN protocol instead of IPSEC/IKE. This seems to be in-built functionality and not a certificate generator which then needs to be opened by the separate OpenVPN Connect app, as some other VPN providers offer. It seems thus as if Apple is finally allowing providers to offer OpenVPN configurations directly! In case you did not know already, this might be nice information to pass on to your developers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
15 hours ago, Robyn said:

FYI: I noticed that Private Internet Access now has an iOS client in which OpenVPN can be selected as the VPN protocol instead of IPSEC/IKE. This seems to be in-built functionality and not a certificate generator which then needs to be opened by the separate OpenVPN Connect app, as some other VPN providers offer. It seems thus as if Apple is finally allowing providers to offer OpenVPN configurations directly! In case you did not know already, this might be nice information to pass on to your developers.

 

Hi - OpenVPN is an option but you still have to have the OpenVPN connect app installed.

We are adding this yes.

Regards

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×