Company Name
YaKaSkai

Torguard Killswitch Slow Got Copyright Strike?

Rate this question

Question

Hi, Long time consumer here. I had received a copyright strike & I did some testing & After me voluntarily choosing to disconnect torguard the killswitch set to my torrent client takes about 10 - 15 seconds to see that that killswitch terminates torrent client after disconnect. I have torguard version 0.3.77.

Edited by YaKaSkai
minor errors

4 answers to this question

Not sure if you are still dealing with this (post is a couple months old), but in case someone else runs across this I figured I'd give an alternate suggestion.

I have my PC setup with a static internal address (192.168.x.x) with NO default gateway.

I have a small batch file that ADDs a default route to my router which essentially activates my network.

If I am just doing normal stuff, running the batch file is all that needs to be done when I boot up my PC.

If I want to run Torguard, I have it run a small batch file that DELETEs the default route to my router after Torguard gets connected.

What this does is if Torguard crashed, loses connection, whatever, network activity will cease since there would be no route out.  Also, if your PC reboots for some reason (OS update, power blip, etc), if it automatically reboots, your torrents won't resume (without Torguard running) since there is no default gateway.

Not as 'slick' as a SW killswitch, but I feel more confident in it working as intended.

The killswitch works for me, but if you need, you can execute a script or kill specific programs with Torguard. 

Hello,

The latest killswitch in TorGuard will not leak in between disabling/activating the interfaces or apps, i would suggest you upgrade - not that there was a leak prior but of course other apps and software could interfere with this process, now this can't happen.

Regards

Alternatively, at least on Windows 7 and above, you can use the windows firewall to prevent any particular application from communicating on the 'real' LAN IP range. It can then only get out when the VPN network is active. I set up like that for any P2P programs etc. Just use the 'Scope' in the firewall rules with a Block setting. It's quite foolproof.

I also use a few custom static routes to divert other things around the VPN and always go out of the 'real' connection. Things that I never need over a VPN.