TorGuard
mrneilypops

10Gbit UK servers?

Rate this topic

so I tried such a server, and i'm only getting 100-140mbps. My isp speed is about 350mbps, 100mbps is just too slow. I'm wondering if there' sa way to speed up the thing.

Hmm,

The order page gives;

10Gbit Premium Network - $19.99USD Monthly

Upgrade to our premium 10Gbit network (USA, Netherlands and Canada available)

If there is a UK 10Gbit I have these questions;

My fibre connection is 200Mbps and at the moment I get +/-60Mbps using a Netgear Nighthawk X4S router with DD-WRT firmware+ OpenVPN

Will I see a significant increase in download speed using a 10Gbit server?

How do I order a UK 10Gbit server?

On 19/12/2017 at 4:18 AM, korefuji said:

so I tried such a server, and i'm only getting 100-140mbps. My isp speed is about 350mbps, 100mbps is just too slow. I'm wondering if there' sa way to speed up the thing.

Hi - is this using the UK 10Gbps server? if so can i ask what device you use the VPN from? where you connect from roughly too?

Have you tried using our GCM based ciphers or OpenConnect?

13 hours ago, mrneilypops said:

Hmm,

The order page gives;

10Gbit Premium Network - $19.99USD Monthly

Upgrade to our premium 10Gbit network (USA, Netherlands and Canada available)

If there is a UK 10Gbit I have these questions;

My fibre connection is 200Mbps and at the moment I get +/-60Mbps using a Netgear Nighthawk X4S router with DD-WRT firmware+ OpenVPN

Will I see a significant increase in download speed using a 10Gbit server?

How do I order a UK 10Gbit server?

Are you currently using GCM ciphers on your router? depending on the cipher used the speeds can be hugely affected by your router CPU.

If that was the case a 10Gbps server won't server you any better.

Regards

cipher AES-128-CBC ( TorGuard DD-WRT startup script )

Netgear Nighthawk R7800 CPU 1.7GHz.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7800.aspx

I am very pleased with the R7800 performance and stability using DD-WRT Kong firmware thus far.

Would I see a speed boost with the above?

I should also add that since returning to TorGuard I am very pleased with performance+support(+dedicated IP :))

Hello mrneilypops.

I just saw your question and can answer that as I am a TG user myself and have done a lot of research with this topic!

when you use a vpn-client on a router you (at this point of time) you never get full speed of your provider. the cpu used in the router is the limiting thing here!

You have to understand, that the whole encryption, normally done by your PC cpu is done by the router cpu in this case. So using a router router the nighthawk, with a strong cpu is a good idea.

The 60Mbit you get is as good as it gets! VPN encryption on a router is a single thread!!!!!!  So you wont get benefits from having a router cpu with more that 1 core.

I too wanted to put all my devices behind a vpn router and discovered the same problem as you. 

As I am streaming from the US to central europe, all I get is around 15Mbit :-(     but as this is still enough to stream in HD I am content.

So people like us will have to wait till DD-WRT router cpu's become a lot more powerfull! I think when they are around 2.6/2.8GHz,   nearing the 3GHz you will get full speed from your fiber line.

right now 1.8GHz is the most powerful as far as I know. in fact you are lucky to get more than 50Mbit on your nighthawk!

When security is not your concern, you can try to max out the speed by lowering your encryption (the lower the less work for the routers cpu) or using blowfish instead of aes.

Most router cpu's can handle blowfish a bit faster. dont expect wonders!

If you (like me) you are using a dedicated ip to stream content otherwise not available, you might even consider trying to put encryption to zero, effectively just changing your ip so you can access content.

Sooo, to answer your question: subscribing to the 10GBit network wont give a better speed with your router!!! If you are using TG on a desktop/laptop too (with a more powerful cpu) it might  max out your fiber speed!

Hope this helps you...

regards

balexter

• Thanks 1

@balexter

Thanks for the comprehensive summary.

So people like us will have to wait till DD-WRT router cpu's become a lot more powerfull! I think when they are around 2.6/2.8GHz,   nearing the 3GHz you will get full speed from your fiber line.

Agreed!

I was expecting a little more speed from my nighthawk ( I was aware of the single thread limitation)

After using my nighthawk + dedicated TorGuard streaming IP for some time now I am more than happy with the speed+stability of this combo.

Thanks again for your input.

Neil

4 hours ago, mrneilypops said:

@balexter

Thanks for the comprehensive summary.

Agreed!

I was expecting a little more speed from my nighthawk ( I was aware of the single thread limitation)

After using my nighthawk + dedicated TorGuard streaming IP for some time now I am more than happy with the speed+stability of this combo.

Thanks again for your input.

Neil

Try adding these lines to your OpenVPN config and see if speeds are any better:

sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288

Regards

@ Support

Thanks for the tip. 

I added the above settings but did not get a speed increase.

I guess the Netgear Nighthawk is at 'max' throughput.

No problem... I will run with my current D/L speed of +/-60Mbps...more than enough!