• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pythoncheese

pythoncheese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:39 AM

I would like to configure my RT-AC68U router with torguard. I'd like one specific server to be connected to automatically, and if possible have another application automatically under a different server (two simultaneous if possible). This is a private IP that I do not see in the openVPN setup guide. Is this doable? If not, is there a way to switch to the new one upon the application starting? 

Lastly, is there a way I can set default DNS servers, but have torguard take over them when connected, and have them returned when it disconnects? 

#2 TorGuard

TorGuard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:12 AM

Hello there, welcome to the forums. There is guides available on the knowledgebase for setting up ASUS routers: openvpn and pptp.  You can have the router connect to one VPN location and then install the TorGuard VPN client or any other software on your individual devices, you are allowed up to 5 simultaneous connections with TorGuard.

You can find a guide regarding how to setup DNS servers for your router HERE. Not sure if it's possible to configure the ASUS router to do what you want as I do not own one to be able to test, it is generally best to set alternative DNS servers than your ISP in my opinion. These DNS settings should do the trick if you are using the TorGuard VPN Client:

Spoiler

I am not affiliated with TorGuard.net

#3 19807409

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:05 AM

Yes there is a way and many different which do have different purpose. 

I am currently writting app which should cover many things, you can place your wish and if you can test it with your device (or TorGuard), then I will implement it. However, mostly you will get better results, more secure and more CPU power if you use for each vpn connection separate device, however, I understood your question as if you would like to run more than one openvpn instance at once. If we speak about some concepts like getting around CFW with methods like "hide one protocol with another", then those as many other will be just a small part of this project. More than one instance can be also in many cases big security issue, especially because you will have performance issues and every mistake in firewall/network config can mean 50% or more loss in performance of your VPN, especially if you let Software firewall inspect all packets instead the HW to send it where it should be sent without loosing on the workload with software firewall. And here it gets complicated, as then some specific ports can be redirected or whatever the scenario is.

What you should take care of is, I saw it many times, people configured everything and at the end their routers were open for quite so many things just because they did not understand what can really connect to what. Especially if you want to leave it just to work, I would strongly suggest you to use more than one device and you can use 5, here one example:

5x openwrt router:

• Each Router is connected to separte server (ie. different stream ip's) and acts as own network allowing your local clients to reach each other
  • Each Router acts also as fallback connection if one of the servers fail, here is random 1 very usefull setting
  • Each Router has it's own WLAN to it's VPN server but also interfaces which act as accesspoints, in the guide posted above there is additionally 1 onion (acts as guest network too) network and one i2p which means if you use one router with 2,4ghz and 5ghz wlan adapters (like Archer C5/C7), then you have 4 connections on 2,4ghz and 4 connection (restriction is same channel) which makes 8 wlan's per router and with 5 devices you can easily have 40 wlan's/access points. Now I think you understand why it is reasonable to use more then one device for multiserver connections, even if just openvpn over l2tp/pptp
  • some more things, just offtopic here I think....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: merlin, router