Amazon’s Kindle Fire is an excellent device that puts all of Amazon’s available content right at your fingertips. In this way you can easily surf the web, download music, stream movies, and shop on Amazon all from the comfort of one device.
The Kindle Fire really is a one stop shop for any Amazon addict, however some features may not be available to you depending on your location. Just like the website, much of the content on Amazon is geo restricted to US visitors only. This means if you live outside the states or are traveling abroad you may not be able to gain access to your favorite content without the use of a VPN (Virtual Private Network).
Setup a VPN on the Kindle Fire
Depending on the Kind Fire version you are using will determine the best way for you to setup VPN access.
Many users report that VPN options have been removed from the menu, however users who have purchased the device in late 2013 report that PPTP and L2TP connection options are available. For these users the Kindle Fire supports the IPSec, L2TP, and PPTP protocols. To set up a VPN from your Kindle Fire, just follow these instructions below.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen to show Quick Settings, and then tap Wireless.
- Tap VPN and then tap Add a VPN Profile.
- Enter your VPN profile information:
- i. Name – The name of the VPN (example: TorGuard USA)
- ii. Type – The security protocol for the VPN (PPTP or L2TP)
- iii. Server Address – The server address of the VPN (Enter the server IP address)
- iv. PPP encryption (MPPE) – Select if PPP encryption (MPPE) is required
Note: Use the VPN username and password you chose during signup at torguard.net
- Tap Save to create your VPN profile. Your VPN profile is saved and appears on the VPN screen.
- From the VPN screen, tap the VPN profile.
- Enter the username and password for your VPN, and then tap Connect.
No VPN option? Use a VPN Router!
If you are not so lucky to have VPN options built into the Kindle Fire then a VPN router is your best bet. In this way you can connect unlimited devices to the VPN router just as you would normally connect to any other WiFi network. The only difference is your connection will be tunneled through a secure VPN server of your choosing. All TorGuard VPN routers come shipped pre-configured with your VPN account so setup is as simple as “plug and play”.
We suggest using a dual band gigabit router for best performance when streaming HDTV programs and accessing local wifi FAST. The top sellers in the TorGuard store that meet these specs are the ASUS RT-N66U, NetGear R6300, and the Buffalo WZR-600DHP. Either of these three routers is highly capable of handling multiple connections without sacrificing speed for performance. This line of high performance routers can also penetrate walls with ease, providing high speed wifi access to all corners of a home or office. The best part: you can now unblock Amazon content on your Kindle Fire device from anywhere in the world.