Not so long ago in January of 2012, a little startup company called “TorGuard” was born and began offering tools for online users to avoid internet surveillance and censorship. Within a few months of our initial existence TorGuard’s PayPal account was shut down without warning before being re-instated one month later.
Fast forward to 2019 and not much has changed here at TorGuard. We remain under the original ownership, we operate under the same core principals, we have the original team members on board, and above all: we still like to build stuff.
Maybe it was our initiative to start these new companies that triggered PayPal to give second thought? PayPal has been known to be unsupportive of encrypted email or file sharing services in the past. Within just a few months after starting our new encrypted email and file storage service PrivateMail.com, we received another notice from PayPal. This time they informed it was us, not them.
Starting December 20th TorGuard will no longer accept PayPal
As of December 20th 2019 TorGuard and PrivateMail will no longer be accepting PayPal payments for any new or recurring services. If you have a current PayPal subscription with TorGuard it is important to update your payment method to avoid any possible service interruption. Members can do this by logging into the billing area and adding a credit card for recurring billing.
TorGuard affiliates who receive PayPal commission payments need to contact the support desk with a new alternative bank account number or crypto currency wallet address for continuous payouts. We also support Payoneer for commission payments along with ACH, Bank wire, Bitcoin and Litecoin.
Alternative Payment Options to PayPal
TorGuard offers several payment alternatives to PayPal and we have recently added more. Here are the top ways to buy TorGuard VPN service without using PayPal:
- Amazon Pay: TorGuard now accepts Amazon Pay for all services. This is a perfect match because the TorGuard Android app is also available in the Amazon app store and compatible with all Fire TV devices.
- Crypto currency: TorGuard does not require a name or billing address when buying VPN service with crypto currency. This is the best payment option for anyone that values privacy because the only information required during sign up is an email address. TorGuard accepts Bitcoin, Litecoin, Monero as well as many other popular crypto currencies.
- Credit/Debit Card: We still accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express. With so many pre-paid credit card options available to the consumer paying for an online subscription with a credit card has never been easier.
- Local Bank transfer: If you don’t have a credit card or don’t want to use it, we also offer direct bank transfer in almost every region worldwide. Select “Paymentwall” on checkout to see what bank transfer and local payment options are available for your region.
- Gift Card: Make use of your unwanted gift cards this holiday season and cash them in for TorGuard services. We accept hundreds of the most popular retailers, and you can apply any amount. Choose “Gift card” on checkout to see a full list of supported retailers. Cash in gift cards and pay your invoice in full, or simply add credit to your account for future payments.
We apologize for any inconvenience this development may cause our customers and affiliates. If you are having difficulty finding an alternative solution to PayPal please contact our support desk so we help resolve your issues right away. Fortunately, there are many more alternatives to using PayPal now than there were back in 2012.