We’d like to thank one of our clients for the great tip on using TorGuard Anonymous VPN Service with TorGuard. Synology DiskStation DS212j is designed to provide a solution of file storage and sharing with data protection for your home environment with low power consumption, quiet operation and reliability. Running on DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system, it delivers ease of use and variety of features, including VPN support. Max Internal Capacity : 8TB (2X 4TB HDD) (Capacity may vary by RAID types).AC Input Power Voltage : 100V to 240V AC.
The problem is that the Synology VPN Client assumes the port used for the OpenVPN connection is port 1194, when it is actually port 443 (for TorGuard VPN).
To fix this, perform the following:
2. Open the Diskstation Control Panel via the Synology Web UI.
3. Configure an OpenVPN connection using the Synology VPN Client UI. Set up the IP address of the VPN Server you wish to use, and your username and password. Import the appropriate .crt certificate from the zip file.
4. Once all is set up and saved, try to set up the connection. The connection attempt will fail. This is because the port is wrong, but it won’t tell you that.
5. You now need to correct the port.
6. Enable telnet access to the Diskstation in the Terminal app of the Control Panel.
7. Login using the username root and password
8. Navigate to /usr/syno/etc/synovpnclient/openvpn
9. This is where the config files for the VPN connection are stored. If you have only set up one, there should be 3 files: a certificate file .crt, a config file .cfg and a file without an extension.
10. Copy the two files that aren’t the certificate file to somewhere convenient on the shared volume on /volume1, so that they can be accessed by the file manager and edited from the PC.
11. Edit both files in something convenient like wordpad that sorts out the carriage returns. In both files the IP address of the VPN Server will be followed by the port number. Set the port number to the port number used by the server, in this case 443. The port number can be confirmed by inspecting the relevant .ovpn file downloaded in the zip file.
12. While you have the .cfg file open, ensure the redirect gateway parameter is set : redirect-gateway=_ON_ This ensures that DNS will operate over the VPN and the Download Station will be able to access the tracker URLs.
13. Once finished, save the files and overwrite the ones in the openvpn folder via telnet.
14. Now when you access the VPN Client UI and connect, the connection will succeed.
15. Note, don’t press save on the VPN Client UI, else your good work will be overwritten, and you will have to start again.